The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/diy-solar-34261253.aspx

Subject:  DIY solar Date:  7/30/2019  2:43 AM
Author:  TretopFlyr Number:  139601 of 143372

For anyone considering DIY solar I highly recommend it. I just added 4000 watts of capacity to my originally 3500 watt system for a net cost of around $3,000 after 30% tax credit, including panels, mounts, racking, conduit and wiring. The original system cost about $20k to install 14 years ago so more than doubling the system output for around $3k seemed like a no brainer. The reason I had the extra capacity in my inverters was that the company that installed my system didn’t have the 3.5kw inverter available that the contract called for so they installed two 3kw inverters instead for my 3.5 kw of panels. I should have done it a long time ago but I had no idea how easy it would be. Even if you have no aptitude or ability to install one of these systems yourself it still makes sense to buy a complete engineered kit with panels and inverters and hire a handyman and electrician to install it. Even after paying the labor you’ll save thousands over having one installed by a solar company. You won’t get a solar company warranty but you will still have the manufacturers warranties on the components and could still buy the same system 2 more times over versus the cost of a solar company install. I can provide more details if anyone is interested.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us