The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/even-a-vigilant-person-can-be-hit-on-a-sidewalk-34278147.aspx

Subject:  Re: Four Phases of Retirement Date:  8/21/2019  3:02 PM
Author:  rharmelink Number:  94959 of 95790

Even a vigilant person can be hit on a sidewalk by a drunken driver while walking in their own neighborhood.

I had a relative that had the opposite happen to them.

Driving down a section of 4-lane road at night, speed limit 35 mph. Lights and crossings only at the intersections on long blocks. A drunk came out of a bar mid-block, tried to cross the street to get to the park on the other side of the road, instead of going to the corner to cross at a controlled intersection.

He walked into the side of the car and was killed. Slight dent on the side of the car, but damaged the side-view mirror. At one point, there was a $5M wrongful death suit filed, including loss of income and companionship and whatever. The insurance company finally settled for a lot less, just to get rid of the nuisance of the suit. But it was a stressful nearly five years, especially since it occurred while using a rental car, while visiting another state. Several times, my relative was told it had been settled, only to have it resurface again a few months later.

I never did hear if the family went after the bar owner as well. As I recall, the customer's blood alcohol was cited as "several times the legal limit".
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us