The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thanks-guys-i-heard-back-from-occidental-34278921.aspx

Subject:  Re: Union Pacific bonds confusion. Date:  8/22/2019  2:41 PM
Author:  blacktreechaser Number:  36633 of 36670

Thanks guys,

I heard back from Occidental Petroleum in an email. They are just looking to consolidate their bonds, and give the holders that are willing to transfer over a little bonus. The maturity date and the 7.15% payout will stay the same. If all things stay exactly the same with the Oxy bond as far as credit rating, investor confidence, et,...then the Oxy bonds should get priced by the market the same as the Union Pacific bond...at around $122 or so.

I didn't talk about the call provision, but as I understand it, it's a "make whole" call provision. And as I understand "make whole", it means Oxy would have to pay market value to the bond holders if they call them.

I really struggled in the past with the sell or hold question on the bonds:
Its hard to believe that it was about 8 to 10 years ago that we were all buying this stuff up at bargain prices on Zions Direct, and this board was super-active. Seems like just a few months ago.
I for one was not expecting to see the prices climb up so far in just a short time. That left me stumped. Do I sell now and get that great capital gain? Or hold on, getting a great return, but knowing that the prices would come back to earth eventually as we get close to maturity, or interest rates climb again?
I believe "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"...meaning I should sell...but I ended up holding on to just about all of them. Lots of them were called.
I've got about 5 issues left in my holdings: These UP bonds, Burlington Northern, Goldman, HSBC, United airlines, and Tennesse valley authority zero's. Most of these are still trading well above par.

Most of my income portfolio in now in ETY, lesser amounts in PCI and IPB. I'll sometimes buy shares of a company and sell call options against it. And I've got a few Bank of America Convertible preferreds, 7 1/2%...series L

Thanx for the info of Finviz. The FINRA site seems to have gotten a little more complicated.

Hope things stablize up in Portland. Hate to see it become a battleground. We stopped over last winter for a night on the way back from a road trip. Went to a small art-theater building, saw a performance of "Its a Wonderful Life", but they did it in a format of putting on a live radio broadcast. It was really good.
Interesting week end coming up. Got asked to ref a high school game (smaller schools here do soccer in the fall) and I love doing it so much, I couldn't say no, even though I doubt my knee will hold up. But the administrator knows that also. Guess they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for opening week end. Well, see how it goes.
Thanx again for the input and info.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us