The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/we39ve-had-auto-sprinkler-system-on-our-last-34281378.aspx

Subject:  Re: Lawn sprinklers Date:  8/26/2019  12:08 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  882364 of 882967

We've had auto sprinkler system on our last two houses. Only way to go.

Our municipality requires two anti-siphon valves in series....unlike most communities in the Northwest, we're served by two large wells with pumps that can rarely induce a negative pressure.

We have a 3 zone system: front drip, front lawn watering and rear drip. The rear drip developed a major leak so had an irrigation company rep out trying to help me find it and in the course of doing this, he convinced me to update my sprinkler heads, replace one of the zone valves and update our timer to a wireless timer. Total bill about $700 including his time. As we were chatting, he told me he and wife had just inherited over $1MM and that with their savings, this put them at about $1.7MM, which he had recently turned over to Edward Jones to manage as they want to retire next year in early 60s....and asked me what I thought. As we talked and he found I'd retired from the FP industry, he went to his truck and produced his latest account statement from EJ. Long story short, I showed him at a charge of 1.5% of Assets Under Management and mutual funds with a weighted 68bp ER that they were paying EJ+MFs over $40K per year in fees, and that if he just moved his accounts to Vanguard, he could get the same....if not better....investment advice for an upfront one time $3,000 and an ongoing fee under $2,000/yr.

So we finished fixing the leak, installed new sprinkler heads and valve body and installed wireless controller...and its worked like a champ. The wireless timer is a pretty cool feature as we can not only control watering from anywhere but it auto adjusts based on any rainfall.

I never did get a bill for the upgrades and his services.

BruceM
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us