The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/xtn-quoti-respectfully-take-issue-with-that-34284101.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ever heard of the 30% rule? FICO Date:  8/29/2019  3:53 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  312625 of 312702

xtn: "I respectfully take issue with that bit. The key word is files. A lot of people will read that bit and think the CRAs asserted ownership over the information, but that isn't true at all.

The accurate way to say it is that they INHERENTLY HAVE ownership of the FILES (or, more accurately, the reports) they developed.

Sure, those files contain data reported to them about individuals. But that doesn't matter. If a professional photographer takes a picture of you, he OWNS that picture and the rights to it. He did the work required to produce the picture. Doesn't matter that the content of it is you. Unless he sells you the picture or some of the usage rights to it, it all belongs to him. He doesn't even have to let you look at it if he doesn't want to."

Not exactly, IMO.

"In basic terms, a photo release form is a contract between the photographer and the client, subject, owner of something in a photograph. Release forms secure legal permission to publish images of people and property.

Publishing refers to posting online in a public forum (such as social media or your website), print medium, television medium, and everything in between."

https://expertphotography.com/photo-release-form-photography...

"In the United States, a photographer can get in trouble for using someone’s likeness commercially without a release form from the subject."

Even photos taken in public have limitations. "You cannot use these images to promote yourself [the photographer] if the subject is recognizable. The law also says that you [the photographer] cannot commercially use these images in any derogatory, defamatory, or slanderous way."

Given that the much of the CRA files is not public information, I would suggest that CRA is much more akin to photographs on private land, and cannot be published without the consent of such person, and any reasonable person would reserve the right to review before publication.

Just my $0.02.

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us