The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thanks-all-for-the-thoughts-and-suggestions-a-34292085.aspx

Subject:  Re: Another conversation Date:  9/10/2019  9:59 AM
Author:  ThyPeace Number:  312645 of 312957

Thanks, all, for the thoughts and suggestions. A few questions are answered below:

Does she have other income this year?

Yes, some. She worked part time for roughly the first 3-4 months of the year. Prior to that, she had worked full time for the previous 4 years and had even been given increased responsibilities in that time.

How did she fill out her W-4?

Good question. I will ask her about that and have also asked her about the EITC from previous years. I'm pretty sure she filed her taxes each year. I'm not sure if she did them herself or had help. I'll point her to TaxAide when it's time to do her taxes.

Is he on CHIP for health insurance? Is she eligible for Medicaid in her state for insurance, and if so, is she already on it? If she's not eligible, is she eligible for subsidized ACA coverage?

She is covered under a parent's health insurance. I don't know if she's eligible for Medicaid or additional assistance, nor do I know how the second-grader's health insurance is covered. More questions to ask.

Before helping with medical bills or cost, see how the TANF application goes. If she's not eligible for some reason they should still look at eligibility for Medicaid. Definitely help with encouraging her to gather paperwork, respond to letters, etc. during the process (which can be daunting). If she plans (or will need) to file for disability, she'll need quite a bit of documentation, or at least starting points for an agency to request records, so encouragement and/or follow-up on gathering medical info in one place would be a good thing.

Yeah, I have been on the work side of disability claims when people had to leave work, and it has been really ugly. In one case, the person was literally unable to get out of bed with a rare autoimmune disorder and the claims were denied because the adjudicators had never heard of the illness. It took far too long to straighten that mess out.

In the immediate situation, establishment-specific gift cards (grocery store card, gas card) may be better than money or a Visa/MC gift card and shouldn't be counted as income or assets.

My read of the state rules is that they do count as income, but a payment of debt as a gift does not. DH and I are keeping an eye on that, particularly for her ongoing PT and meds. She is first going to apply for assistance for those costs as well, with the places that she is going to. So I'll help her with that and with reminders to get it done.

Who would recommend working with a consumer debt advocate to help that weight on her shoulders a little easier to bear, and to work on replacing that pride with looking for and taking any financial, mental or other support she can get...

Ah, this is a good idea. Now... remind me so that I don't steer her in the wrong direction. Debt consolidators are bad, I know. What's the name of a reputable good company that could help her for free?

Still, cobbling together various aid programs is probably the best that can be done, and the advice on how to do that is probably helpful.

The young woman might be expected to be overwhelmed with her difficulties and barely functioning.

Yup. This is a situation where unwinding the debt comes second to stabilizing the people's lives. I figure I'll be talking to her for a decade or more after her life is stable to get the debt taken care of. That's okay. I'm not going anywhere.

ThyPeace, she had PT yesterday. Her pelvis has been returned to a more natural position. Now we'll see how long that lasts while she's working. (They had gotten it to the point where it would last a couple of days before re-rotating, but that was with her doing much less activity.)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us