The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/she39s-an-author-that-advocates-that-people-34297216.aspx

Subject:  Re: Working has become the new retirement... Date:  9/17/2019  6:08 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  95175 of 96381

She's an author that advocates that people work or start a small business in retirement.

I just don't understand this. To me, and maybe I'm the odd duck here, retirement means no longer working for pay, and so doing any sort of work, whether part-time or staring my own small business, is simply not attractive. I don't want to be doing anything where I have to be somewhere at a specified time and reporting to someone else. I want to do whatever I want, change my plans at the last minute, or just do nothing at all.

When I retired last year, I was amazed at the number of people who asked me what other job or career I intended to pursue. If I wanted to still be earning an income, I would have just stayed at my very well-paying job which I definitely liked. But I much prefer things as they are now where I do whatever I want, and am not expected to produce something or to be at some meeting or any of that other stuff.

But as I said, maybe that's just me and I'm the one who does not understand the concept of retirement.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us