The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-just-don39t-understand-this-to-me-and-34297284.aspx

Subject:  Re: Working has become the new retirement... Date:  9/17/2019  7:39 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  95177 of 96099

I just don't understand this. To me, and maybe I'm the odd duck here, retirement means no longer working for pay, and so doing any sort of work, whether part-time or staring my own small business, is simply not attractive.

I might tweak it slightly to be "retirement is doing what you want to do rather than doing what you have to do". That leaves the window open for a bit of part time work that you enjoy, or starting a business if that's what you really want to try. Or doing volunteer work that might consume a lot of your time. It also includes not working at all.

I had a tax client who was a retired business executive. He really liked helping businesses get off the ground, so he spent his "retirement" years consulting new businesses that he found interesting. He didn't charge a whole lot - way less than a fair value. But he wouldn't work at all unless he was intrigued in some way about the business. He liked sharing his accumulated lifetime of knowledge with others. It was basically his hobby. And a hobby is a perfectly fine way to spend retirement.

I always had interesting conversations with him when I did his taxes. Usually learned something, too. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us