The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/to-me-and-maybe-i39m-the-odd-duck-here-34297516.aspx

Subject:  Re: Working has become the new retirement... Date:  9/18/2019  7:57 AM
Author:  cattleman22 Number:  95185 of 96381

{{To me, and maybe I'm the odd duck here, retirement means no longer working for pay, and so doing any sort of work, whether part-time or staring my own small business, is simply not attractive. I don't want to be doing anything where I have to be somewhere at a specified time and reporting to someone else. I want to do whatever I want, change my plans at the last minute, or just do nothing at all.}}

That is a completely reasonable goal for retirement. it does not make you an odd duck. It makes you you.

But not everyone is you. Many people thrive on some sense of externally imposed structure in their lives. As an example, when my dad retired from his main job, he continued farming and then also began two part time jobs. He did not need to do these jobs out of economic necessity. Rather he really enjoyed doing them. It worked for him.

My personal goal for saving extensively for retirement is so that I no longer have to work for someone else. Instead, I can putter on our own farm. I likely will work physically harder once I retire. But I do not expect many other people would like such a retirement.

c
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us