The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/many-people-thrive-on-some-sense-of-externally-34297552.aspx

Subject:  Re: Working has become the new retirement... Date:  9/18/2019  8:47 AM
Author:  ThyPeace Number:  95186 of 96162

Many people thrive on some sense of externally imposed structure in their lives. As an example, when my dad retired...

When mine retired, he was also the chair of a local charitable foundation. He grew it to something larger than it was, and also helped his former secretary develop a community foundation that is now making really significant improvements in my home town.

Eleven years later, he is ready to "retire" from that gig. He'll still have the two businesses he started when he retired (he owns an airplane hangar and three airplanes that he rents out, and which have never made him any money, but he finds it fun), the "Hopeful Has-Beens" group that meets once a week to work on issues in the community, dominoes twice a week with a friend, the police and fire commission, and probably other things that I'm not currently thinking of. And then there's the yard, which he still works on for at least five hours every weekend and an hour most other days.

It makes me understand why being deeply networked and involved in your community is important to a long, healthy, happy life.

ThyPeace, Dad is 81. He's not all that healthy looking, really. We're working on that. The prostate cancer treatments made him gain a lot of weight. But he's energetic and thoughtful and he just keeps going.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us