The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: oops...estimated taxes? Date:  9/18/2019  2:15 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  129583 of 130720

I could adjust the withhold to cover that which would result in about a 1/3 reduction in take-home. Or I could send a check to the IRS from the proceeds of the stock sales. I do like the safe harbor idea, but given these details is that still the best way to go?

Meeting a safe harbor eliminates underpayment penalty. It is a good option.

If you send a check to the IRS, you will need to do an additional form with your taxes. If you adjust withholding, you don't. The choice is yours.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us