The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/batteries-store-energy-i-don39t-know-what-the-34298085.aspx

Subject:  Re: It can’t be done Date:  9/18/2019  6:22 PM
Author:  qazulight Number:  567646 of 576105

Batteries store energy. I don't know what the limit is in some given volume. But I doubt we can exponentially just cram more and more electrons into a given space in the same way that in computers we cut the required number of electrons in half a couple of dozen times.

This doesn't mean batteries won't get better. It is just that applying Moore's Law to it is a bit nonsensical.

Mike,

I do not know what the maximum amount of energy a battery can store either. I suspect that the absolute energy density will be less than hydrocarbons. The usable could be much higher though. Notice the weasel words. Could.

The battery development has proceeded along a slow Moore’s law for years. The batteries have roughly dropped in cost by half and doubled energy density about every 42 months since they came to the general public’s attention about 10 years ago. (The relationship between the two is causal not just a correlation.

What it will do in the future? I do not know. All I can do is point out that I was taught one thing about the limits of technology in the 1980’s and those limits are as laughable as people saying you could not break the sound barrier.

On the other hand, we still don’t have flying cars.

Cheers
Qazulight
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us