The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/two-years-is-a-pretty-long-time-for-a-new-34298107.aspx

Subject:  Re: It can’t be done Date:  9/18/2019  6:43 PM
Author:  qazulight Number:  567649 of 575934

Two years is a pretty long time for a new revolutionary technology to remain off the market. Why is there still no announcement of a switch from the flammable to non-flammable batteries?

I'm guessing it has to do with patent problems and/or intellectual property licensing disputes.

It has been my experience that technology takes about 5 years from the lab to the market. Also, the attrition rate from lab to market is very high. In fact the large majority of discoveries never produce the results that looked promising.

I have noticed a pattern.

1st There is a discovery.

2nd Then it gets written up

3rd Depending on whether it gores an ox, or shores up somebodies pet dead horse, it will be talked about.

4th It disappears

5th It reappears in a dramatically different fashion.

One of three things happens here.
It is forgotten
It is revived by a scam artist
Or:

6th It gets heralded as the second coming of Christ and you need to buy stock in this company or a cabin in the woods and a gun, depending on who is talking.

7th It gets quiet again.

Here one of three things happen.

The company quietly goes bankrupt (This is the most common)

The company gets bought and the tech becomes some minor addition to something else and you don’t even know you have the tech in your possession.

(This is the second most likely thing)

or:

8th. Somebody uses the tech to make a huge difference in the world as we know it.

This seldom happens. Additionally, I do not recall a time when it happened the way the pundits thought it would happen.

Think Fullerenes. Cool stuff named after cool guy.

We thought Fullerenes would make really cool structures happen, some even dreamed of a space elevator.

What are Fullerenes actually doing? Stabilizing silicon inside lithium ion batteries so that it can be used to increase energy density and longevity of batteries.

Cheers
Qazulight
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us