The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-just-don39t-understand-this-to-me-and-34298450.aspx

Subject:  Re: Working has become the new retirement... Date:  9/19/2019  9:23 AM
Author:  TheBreeze Number:  95209 of 96091

I just don't understand this. To me, and maybe I'm the odd duck here, retirement means no longer working for pay, and so doing any sort of work, whether part-time or staring my own small business, is simply not attractive.

I might tweak it slightly to be "retirement is doing what you want to do rather than doing what you have to do". That leaves the window open for a bit of part time work that you enjoy, or starting a business if that's what you really want to try. Or doing volunteer work that might consume a lot of your time. It also includes not working at all.

That sounds like a good definition. It still questions the definition if you have to "start a business to earn money to afford 'retirement.'"

Remember the discussion in the Retire Early Home Page board (before it split into RECF and RELE) where a woman said she retired at some super early age, like 32...but she was married and her husband worked for income (plus health insurance + dental etc.). She was actually a stay-at-home wife, but wanted to call herself retired and some people supported that definition. So, apparently words don't have to have an objective meaning.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us