The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-wife-let-it-slip-to-her-mother-that-we-are-34298464.aspx

Subject:  Re: Working has become the new retirement... Date:  9/19/2019  9:37 AM
Author:  TheBreeze Number:  95211 of 96184

My wife let it slip to her mother that we are thinking about retiring early. MIL was like "what would you possibly do with your time?" I told her I don't have enough hours in the day to fit in working.

When I had just started my engineering career, I was in a meeting where it was pointed out how people die shortly after retirement because their life loses its meaning, and they lose their reason to get up in the morning. That didn't seem right to me, but having been a real employee for maybe 18 months, I didn't know if that was BS, or a generalization, or true for some and not others or was actually a fact. What hit home was that sometime just before that I noticed in the obituaries a familiar face from work, and it was a guy who retired and then passed away like six months later. So maybe it *was* true! Maybe I would grow to absorb that mentality (even though I felt like people should work to live, not live to work).

Over time, I noticed there were people who were thrilled to "get a package" of say adding five years to their age and five years to their service to calculate retirement eligibility and benefits (when the company needed to reduce headcount). Others were crestfallen that the company didn't need them any more. One guy's hobby was traveling in an enormous motor home...not for me, but I saw that there was this big swath of people whose lives were work + friends + hobbies + serving the community + learning + other stuff, not just work. Then the internet came along and I discovered there were hundreds of thousands of people who wanted to give their employers their best effort for 40 hours a week, but didn't treat it like a marriage.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us