The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-just-want-to-chime-in-here-as-a-77-soon-to-be-34298683.aspx

Subject:  Re: 15 signs that a wonderful retirement... Date:  9/19/2019  1:56 PM
Author:  mathetes Number:  95220 of 96146

I just want to chime in here as a 77 (soon to be 78) year old, 20+ years following the Motley Fool boards... I found the two items from that 15 item list pretty well described us. Obviously a number of years into receiving the RMD as well as Social Sec. At this point we get two SS payments each month, plus one RMD. My wife, ten years younger, will be adding her RMD to the pot in a few years...

We DO use the RMD to cover discretionary expenses, and live quite comfortably with all those incomes...what's really amazing is that my IRA just today hit its all-time high, despite my having been taking out those RMDs for the six or seven years since turning 71 1/2. Thanks to the Fool, I do sleep well at night, regardless of what the market has done that day, that week, this year....

Now, I realize that we are blessed to be able to sleep well at night, as described. But I guess what I wanted to add to the conversation here is that there are so many different ways to slice these income streams and the corresponding cash flows, we need to be careful with all generalizations. I took the list of 15 as a bit whimsical, even though it was nice to see that I could smile after reading each one.

mathetes
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us