The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Industry Discussions / Real Estate Inv. Trusts: REITs

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/kingran-you-wrote-it-just-so-happened-today-i-34301520.aspx

Subject:  Re: Opinions on APLE REIT Date:  9/24/2019  3:20 AM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  85139 of 85558

Kingran,

You wrote, It just so happened today I was talking about Satya to someone, because of his leadership, vision and purpose he brought to a big organization like MSFT and the innovation he unleashed all that resulting in share price tripling. Hope you got some of the benefit.

My 7 year anniversary with Microsoft was last week, so yes I've seen some benefit. Compared to what I was used to, Microsoft's benefits are incredibly generous even if the base pay was similar.

Our 401(k) plan is the best I've ever seen. The base plan includes excellent options at very low expense ratios and if that doesn't do it for you the brokerage link option lets you buy anything Fidelity offers. The match is 50 cents for every dollar you contribute, no plan limit. Including the company match, this lets me set aside $62K/year in tax-advantaged savings. Add in the HSA and I've set aside $69K this year alone. Add to that excellent healthcare insurance, stock grants and ESPP and a sizable annual bonus and you can probably see why I like the benefits package.

As for Sathya's leadership, well I suppose I can give him credit for some of the rise in the stock price. Have I benefited from it? Hell yes. I still hold a few shares of my first ESPP purchase. They have a cost basis of $24.04 per share. That's something like a 479% unrealized gain. My average cost basis overall is just $51.73. Of course I've sold a lot of my MSFT to try to keep my MSFT allocation around 10% of invested assets, but it's still well north of a year's gross salary despite taking just 7 years to accumulate.

So yes, I suppose I have seen some benefit. :-)

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us