The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/retirement-planning-34302073.aspx

Subject:  Retirement Planning Date:  9/24/2019  7:03 PM
Author:  Lassie222 Number:  129585 of 130204

Like many of you, I have investment funds in a couple different accounts (after-tax and tax deferred). Plus Social Security and a cash cushion in the bank. So what to withdraw from first? How to keep taxes down? How to ensure I'm not taking too much and depriving myself thereby leaving too much for my ungrateful heirs. Also, I don't want to take to much and cause the funds to run out too soon.

I considered paying a Financial Advisor for a retirement plan, but I'm not sure I can get what I need. Recently, a Foolish article I was reading pointed to a on-line retirement planner: i-ORP.com. It uses linear regression so that many points of data are used to compile results.

I tried the quickie results, then re-ran it with more of my investment details. The results are amazing! It showed me what my income will be each year (increased by 2.5% inflation each year) and where and how much to withdraw. Taxes are minimized. The plan goes year by year to age 92 or whatever age you want. Its only a "guide", so, use it with common sense (if the market is down, I'll make adjustments to the plan). I plan to run it each December to update my plan for the coming year.

Let me know if you find planners that are better online. i-ORP.com
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us