The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/you-can-pay-by-credit-card-without-using-autopay-34303441.aspx

Subject:  Re: Thomas Cook Tour Company Folds Date:  9/26/2019  12:41 PM
Author:  cabinsmama Number:  24367 of 25047

You can pay by credit card without using autopay. I pay with credit cards as much as possible I don't autopay anything. Even if you did use autopay, you still have the opportunity to review both the original bill and the credit card statement to see if there are any suspect charges.

This, so much. We get paper bills, more for DH's comfort level than anything else, but almost all payments are by CC. I get statements right in front of me on-screen, they can't get lost or misfiled, and one click expands entries so I can see more about the purchase. And I like being able to generate reports so I can see trends, patterns, etc.

I'm not usually a fan of autopay, but the occasional times I do use it, I check it when I look at the rest of my statement. That's on the individual.

The other advantage is reward points. All your spending for a year plus the occasional sign up bonus translates to substantial rewards. I haven't paid for a hotel room in years, and am almost always upgraded, have access to executive lounge, and so on. Simply because I pay with credit cards. Not too shabby.

Agreed. All that plus the protection when things go sideways. CCs are great when services/good aren't provided because the company went under.

cm
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us