The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Imp This Ride

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-talking-about-the-rates-that-medicare-pays-34344875.aspx

Subject:  Re: So here's the thing about insurance Date:  11/15/2019  7:57 AM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  40213 of 40282

I was talking about the rates that medicare pays providers not the rates paid in.

I had cataract surgery when I was in my early 50s and while it was paid by regular health insurance, I was told for that (and many other procedures), medicare reimbursement rates drove the prices paid providers that were set for all insurance.

Since hitting Medicare a few months ago, the biggest difference for me was the lack of insane($10K) deductible. But I do regular screenings, immunizations and an very occasional visit to a minute clinic at Walgreens for a long lasting cold/sinus infection. I have no drug plan because I take one drug that costs about $120/ year and the income adjustment made drug plans a ridiculous price.

I will say the deductible did keep me from accessing much health care in the past 8 years. I had insurance but I didn't consider it affordable. Even though I am healthy, apparently my supplemental insurance will increase on every birthday.

Be careful what you wish for.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us