The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Imp This Ride

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/that-was-part-of-its-job-along-with-copays-a-34346862.aspx

Subject:  Re: So here's the thing about insurance Date:  11/18/2019  10:04 AM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  40216 of 40282

That was part of its job. Along with copays, a deductible is supposed to make people weigh whether or not seeking care is needed.

I totally understood that. At $10K, even with the ability, it was a formidable barrier. There was at least one "screening" that I did even though I had to pay. Had I known the anesthesia was going to be $800, I may have tried to skip that.

The flip side would be something that would end up costing the insurance company(now Medicare) way more because of a delay.

But the rhetoric about affordable health care...

As an anecdote, in grad school, I could access a doctor for free whenever I wanted. I went roughly once a month or so just to check something out. Because when there is no cost, it is always worthwhile to have something checked out just in case it could be something of concern.

My current doctor has been the minute clinic at Walgreens which will go away at the end of the year. One doctor just quit about a year ago. Another kept changing practices to the point that I was unwilling to follow her.

I have zero desire to hit a doctor pretty much without a real need. Even with better insurance, I didn't go more than a couple of times a year. I am pretty sure I get to pay more when I get a year older each year to subsidize behavior like yours.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us