The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/just-checking-with-you-experts-34347483.aspx

Subject:  Just checking with you experts.... Date:  11/19/2019  12:13 AM
Author:  PosFCF Number:  129722 of 130237

I have a non-inherited Roth IRA and own a lot of ZZZZ stock. I just gathered together some of our other liquid assets and want to put them into a non-qualified account.

My strategy for investing/speculation is to put what I think will be the biggest gainers into my Roth and the slow movers into my non-qualified account.

So that's the set-up for the issues I think I understand but want to run by you folks:

I want to sell some of my ZZZZ in the Roth to free up $ for other ideas. ZZZZ is a nice slowly appreciating gainer and I will have a nice profit when I sell some of it.....a fact which I believe will have no tax ramifications for me.

I then want to use a portion of the newly deposited money and buy back the same number of shares of ZZZZ in the non-qualified account (which currently has no position in ZZZZ).

My understanding is that "wash sale" rules usually only apply to capital losses, not capital gains; and that selling in my Roth is a completely unconnected issue for the IRS and they will only have a stake when I either sell ZZZZ in the non-qualified account or it starts paying a dividend, etc.

Am I correct in the thinking as outlined? I'm really only checking in here because I've suffered the loss of my spouse and I'm double-checking my thinking as seems prudent, and I always think anything with the IRS qualifies for being prudent.

Poz
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us