The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

CAPS / CAPS Blogs

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/interesting-tipranks-experiment-34349982.aspx

Subject:  Interesting TipRanks experiment Date:  11/22/2019  7:42 AM
Author:  TMFJaguar Number:  275 of 430

I couldn't think of another place to put this. This definitely isn't publishable, and it's not life changing, but it is an interesting observation, that I felt should be shared. Maybe someone could run further with this idea.

Last year I went to TipRanks and navigated to its Trending Stocks page. Once there I went through the list, and selected every company that was listed as a "strong buy" with at least 15% upside. I did this at some point in October (I don't remember what day) and the last day of November. I had planned on doing it more, but honestly forgot. But I just found my notes the other day and in review, there were some surprising results.

Of the 26 stocks identified in October, 17 are up more than 15%. Only five are down. Of the 18 stocks identified in November, 10 are up more than 15%, and only 3 are down. What's particularly interesting is that in November, I also took note of the "moderate buys" showing 15% upside. The results weren't nearly as good. Of the 34 stocks that fit this category, only 15 are up more than 15%. 15 are actually down.

Biggest winner from October strong buys was Argenx, up 96%. Worst was FedEx, down 30%.

Biggest winner from November strong buys was Yeti Holdings, up 71%. Worst was ProPetro Holding Corp, down 49%.

Biggest winner from November moderate buys was Spark Therapeutics, up 165%. Worst was Whiting Petroleum, down 82%.

I'm not providing commentary or a takeaway. I'm not saying TipRanks is the way to go as I don't believe algorithms etc. can match the ability of a human learning to recognize great companies. I'm merely throwing this observation out there.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us