The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: Retirement housing glut? Date:  12/14/2019  2:42 AM
Author:  utahtea Number:  21607 of 22934

The more modern places are not "Assisted Living". Continuing Care Retirement Community is defined as offering graduated living arrangements beginning with independent living, with the facility providing for room and board, typically an apartment (or a bungalo) and a community dining room. The ones we have seen offer excellent food. Some are buffet style, some have waiters like a restaurant. The food we have seen is excellent - better than we normally prepare for ourselves (Sometimes a "Box Dinner" - frozen food from the grocery store.) 😉

The place my 94 year old FIL put a deposit on and then changed his mind was both. He would have been getting a room that was independent living but could be changed to an assisted living unit when he needed it but it would cost more when the time came. It was one bedroom, family room and very large kitchenette. Not all the units at this place were classified as being both. They treated us to lunch as part of their sales pitch and it was very good.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us