The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/we-are-in-a-cruise-ship-type-of-retirement-34378456.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement - A New Thread Date:  1/5/2020  12:45 AM
Author:  malaoshi Number:  21698 of 21941

We are in a cruise-ship type of Retirement Community, but my husband is still working. He has a busy schedule with 16-18 Silicon Valley CEOs of small to medium-sized companies. He loves the work and is entering his 18th year, but in the last month he has spoken 5 times (I've counted them because to our family they are "newsworthy" remarks) about retiring in 2021 ( he'll be 78) because there will be other things he wants to do......

Being the thoughtful guy he is, he made a list of 19 "Ongoing Activities in Retirement" to show me this week, and asked me if he had "forgotten something"...I had to laugh!

You asked if other fools were happy with their current choices in retirement.

I have to say I really think our decision was one of the best we've made in our happy lifetime (52 years married ) so far. And originally we did it only so our kids would never have to worry about us.

By moving here we:
a) found better health care than we had previously,... even though we had never had any worries before
b) can be alone and quietly peaceful or as social as we choose
c) meet interesting people, attend interesting lectures, attend lovely professional concerts just by walking down the hall, or claiming a seat in the main auditorium downstairs....no worries about parking, or arrangements depending on weather
d) are exposed to more volunteering opportunities than we could ever want...or fulfill
e) live in an area new to us, so date-night is a chance to explore new restaurants, local symphony etc
f) see how if residents lose a partner, they are supported by friends and staff on a daily basis for as long as they need that "caring" warmth

A very lengthy answer to one of your questions, Vermonter.

Maryanne
(busy learning Chinese, singing in choir, teaching four immigrants (volunteering) puttering in my garden, doing water aerobics, TLC, Book Club, to name a few things...and still enjoying time to myself just reading on the balcony...(or maybe just watching the clouds...)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us