The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/roth-401k-34379909.aspx

Subject:  Roth 401K Date:  1/6/2020  9:53 PM
Author:  apacherose Number:  26279 of 26309

On 1-2-2020, my son enrolled in his Employer sponsored ROTH 401K plan. He's contributing 5% to obtain the Employer maximum match of 4%.

Today, I just read this brief summary of ROTH 401K plans, "Adding the word ROTH to your 401K plan means the money you contribute will be taxed up front, will grow tax-free, and can be withdrawn tax-free after age 59 1/2. ROTH 401K plans are sponsored by employers. If you receive an employer match on your ROTH 401K, the match is NOT tax-favored. That means the growth from your employer's match will be taxed when you withdraw your funds in retirement."

My question is: How is my son going to know what is growth from employer matched contributions that should BE taxed and what is growth from his employee's contributions that should NOT BE taxed? Somehow, I can see this being a snafu. If someone specifically knows how an employer & employee's contributions will all itemized separately over the next 20-30 years, please pass along that informational reassurance to me.

Gratefully,
Concerned Mom Apacherose
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us