The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ok-ill-give-it-a-go-i-retired-nearly-6-years-34381973.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement - A New Thread Date:  1/9/2020  4:01 PM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  21719 of 21944

Ok, I’ll give it a go:

I retired nearly 6 years ago at age 65 after 39 years as a professor at the same university where I’d gone to grad school. DH had retired a few years before me. She owned a large dance studio and ran a nonprofit dance company.

I retired mostly because I was unhappy with how my university had morphed into a corporation oriented toward maximizing the bottom line. I had tenure, a comfy lifestyle, had spent my entire adult life here. But I was unhappy, and so I pulled the plug on it.

Money was not a major issue for us. We’d lived modestly in the same house for 30+ years, zero debt, built up a comfortable nest egg, … the usual “millionaire next door.” I delayed taking Soc Sec until age 68.

For the 6 years prior to retiring, I’d been focusing my energy on forming an organization of indigent Detroiters who were regulars at a soup kitchen in the city. A handful of my students and I worked with a core group to launch the organization. After retirement, I took this on as a half-time volunteer job. Today the org has 4 chapters and nearly 6,000 members. We’ve accomplished a lot of good stuff. But as we grew and became an official nonprofit, that too became increasingly bureaucratic for me, chasing grants and supervising staff. It’s taken me 5 years to hand over the reins. I’m still on the board.

I’ve loved Hawaii--the place, the people, the culture--ever since we first visited 38 years ago. So 7 years ago, DH and I bought a condo in Waikiki. It’s an older but nice building, with mostly year-round residents (kama’aina) and some renters. We split our time between here and our Michigan house. We also travel around Europe, typically 2 to 3 trips/year, plus trips to Oregon to visit DD and her family. Our nearly 7 y/o granddaughter is the joy of our life.

I’ll be 71 in a couple of months, DW just turned 68. We’re healthy and active. I still run (slowly) and swim miles in the ocean regularly. I walk to the beach. I joined an outrigger canoe paddling club a couple of years ago. We paddle competitively, working out or racing as many as 5 days/week during the season. We don’t have many paddlers my age, so typically I’m in a 6-man canoe with folks decades younger than me.

I still do research, write articles, do my nonprofit work, putter around the house, etc. I’m never bored. Life is good. I'm very grateful to be able to do this.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us