The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-idea-that-every-young-adult-even-when-in-34384262.aspx

Subject:  Re: Another conversation Date:  1/13/2020  9:38 AM
Author:  ThyPeace Number:  312757 of 312957

The idea that every young adult, even when in extreme distress, should be maintained in an independent living situation strikes me as bogus and foolish.

I suggest that the most important and dramatic improvements in the welfare of the young adult and her child is likely to come from family members stepping up to take charge of lives that these people in distress cannot manage for themselves at present.

WHERE are the other adults in this extended family?

You make excellent points, SP. From what I can tell, her parents and longtime step-parents (parents divorced almost 20 years ago) are doing everything they can, and everything that she will let them do. The house is owned by one parent, and the daughter lives there rent-free. The only utility she has to pay is electricity. She is on another parent's health insurance, and I suspect they fairly regularly provide assistance in terms of meals purchased, gifts of clothes and food, etc. However, neither of her parents are particularly money-smart, and there is no one in the family who is the equivalent of a homemaker who could potentially step in and really get some things done.

So... I think they help when and where they can. I also get a variety of stories depending on who I talk to. I suppose that's always the case.

ThyPeace, family dynamics are a challenge.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us