The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-note-that-the-us-government-does-not-negotiate-34390351.aspx

Subject:  Re: Single Payer Series Date:  1/19/2020  9:30 PM
Author:  syke6 Number:  575941 of 591410

I note that the US government does not negotiate & set prices for food, and yet there's abundant affordable food.

??

Food is this country is hugely subsidized by the US government, both on the supply side and the demand side. In fact, food subsidies are one single largest discretionary items in the federal budget, dwarfing items like transportation or education.

I have advocated many times on this board and others for reform of these subsidies, mainly because many of them are driven by corruption. But I would never suggest the abundance of food in this country is somehow related to the free market. That's just crazy talk.

But for all the faults of our system including waste and corruption, we no longer have famines. That's generally considered to be positive. But it has very little to do with the free market.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us