The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/which-of-my-stocks-to-sell-for-retirement-income-34390686.aspx

Subject:  Which of my Stocks to Sell for Retirement Income Date:  1/20/2020  2:32 PM
Author:  UncleDale Number:  96820 of 98506

[First Newbie Post]

I retired a year ago, rolled my TIAA-CREF into an investment account, and thus had $1M to invest. That's an obvious time to buy some Motley Fool services, which are great for picking what to buy.

This year, though, (and for the rest of my life), the story is different. I have considerably more wealth than I did last year (+35%, because 2019 was so kind to investors), but I no longer have any "new" money (salary, or new rollovers) to invest. I need to pick some of my stocks to sell to have money to live on, and I presume I should "harvest" some of those gains and use them to buy some stocks on today's investing advice. (Even though The Fool says over and over that I ought to keep all these stocks 3-5 years).

How can I pick which of my stocks to sell in retirement?

One Geek answer would be "Study and Understand all your stocks, and pick the 'worst'". Are there simpler ways? The Fool gives nice listings of "Our top recommendations from this portfolio this month". What I really need is "Here is a list of all the stocks we've recommended in this portfolio that you might have. Here are the ones we are LEAST excited about this month that you might have: sell some of those that you have, to pay your mortgage and to reinvest".

Shouldn't this be as simple as sorting a spreadsheet bottom-to-top? (But only the top stocks are presented!)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us