The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/weve-talked-about-this-before-if-you-need-a-34394282.aspx

Subject:  Re: WaPo - Retiring on a Cruise Ship Date:  1/25/2020  11:39 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  96905 of 98536

We’ve talked about this before. If you need a nursing home, no way will a cruise ship work.....

I don’t understand why some cruise ship company hasn’t jumped on this. Make the *entire ship* a retirement community. Forget the water slides and and other junk they crowd into the boats to attract people. Fill it instead with larger medical areas. Keep some doctors and nurses on the ship, on call 24/7. Acute medical emergencies would be handled as now: stabilize and remove by port or medivac as required.

There would be a lot less “on and off” time (turnaround days), food and fuel would be the same but not the thousands of passengers and baggage circus, some of the bars could go away in favor of slightly larger suites would be slightly larger to accommodate clothing storage, And so on. Redesign the whole thing with “retirement community” in mind. Yes, slightly wider hallways, elevators, etc. but doable, I would think.

My Dad was paying $4500/mo 10 years ago for his home, Mrs. Goofy’s dad was paying $6,000/mo a couple years ago - so it would seem the cost structure might be somewhere in the ballpark for the fairly-well-to-do.

Yo, Carnival Cruise lines! I’m available at a modest consulting fee, plus retainer, bonus, and percentage.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us