The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Creation vs. Evolution

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/clearly-you-took-something-out-of-context-ive-34432789.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's wrong with homology Date:  3/11/2020  12:41 PM
Author:  btresist Number:  27143 of 27162

Clearly you took something out of context. I’ve suggested that you look at commentaries to help you clear up the confusion you have with this.

What this and other commentaries say is that one should not take this passage on slavery literally. Instead, it has to be interpreted and understood within the context of the rest of the bible and with respect to the culture and tradition of the people who authored the bible. What applies to Exodus 21: 20-21 should also apply to the rest of the bible as well. I think this represents a strong critique of your YEC belief. The first chapter of genesis describes the tradition and knowledge-base of the ancient Jews, spoken and written in terms and ideas that the people of the time could relate with. It may accurately describe the belief system of this nomadic tribe, but it doesn't mean it is an accurate description of the universe. To use it as the foundation of one's understanding of the physical universe is absurd.

Getting back to the main issue, you claim that I am misrepresenting the concept of "slavery". That it means something different in the Old Testament context, something more like having a mortgage. Okay, let's take a look at Exodus 21: 20-21 again:

"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. 21 But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money."

Replace the word "slave" with anything you want (mortgage-holder, butler, servant, nannie, caregiver, etc.) that in your opinion will make it morally acceptable to you. IMO, that passage is inherently immoral by modern ethical standards. Beating an employee is generally wrong and deserving of punishment even if the employee survives the beating. In fact, beating a human being is generally wrong and deserving of punishment even if the person survives the beating.

I'm sure you can come up with exceptions like self-defense, war, football, boxing, but generally speaking it is not morally right to beat up other people, even if not fatally.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us