The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Liquid Lounge

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/patience-is-a-very-difficult-thing-for-me-34465043.aspx

Subject:  Re: corona virus Date:  4/7/2020  11:51 AM
Author:  richinaz Number:  41659 of 41659

Patience is a very difficult thing for me. I've gotten much better as I've gotten older and realize most of my mistakes, mental or physical, occurred when I was in too much of a hurry (e.g., running up the steps, driving impatiently, etc.) so I'm better now.

Like you, but for different reasons, I'm kicking myself a little bit since before the virus hit I thought the market had risen too much and wanted to take some profits. Part of it was due to the sizable tax hit I would have taken on some long held stocks (notably Apple) but paying taxes is better than losing money (I'm still way in the green on them).

I don't know the actual numbers but I'm probably only down about 10% although it feels much worse.

I've found that if I trim back a stock after it rises too far and buy back when it gets taken down due to the market overall falling (such as in late 2018) I can meet/exceed SP500 returns by a bit while keeping a good 20%+ in cash. I don't usually do a lot of detailed accounting but for a job I had to report financial assets for 7 years and every year was fortunate to exceed the SP500.

You can't change the past, only the future.
Rich
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us