The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-know-it39s-a-cliche-but-i-look-for-places-34524785.aspx

Subject:  Re: Toyko? Date:  6/2/2020  6:14 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  24910 of 25039

I know it's a cliche, but I look for places where locals appear to go. And sometimes you can ask a hotel desk person "where would YOU go". I've been in places where no one speaks English. Once in Montreaux, I had to speak Spanish to the waitress because she only spoke Spanish and (I think) French. In Japan we went to a restaurant where we had to point at pictures. No English writing, and the waitress's English was only marginally better than my Japanese (which is limited to a few phrases like "hello" and "good evening" and "thank you").

I regard that as something of an adventure. If it looks good, order it. Don't know what's in it, but it obviously doesn't kill any of the locals so it likely won't kill us. About half the time in Asia I have no idea what I'm eating. Apart from maybe "seafood" versus land-animal food. Likely it's better I don't know or I might be a squeamish American.

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us