The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/part-d-plans-for-drug-coverage-like-part-b-you-34531351.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare Question... Date:  6/9/2020  4:16 PM
Author:  rharmelink Number:  22111 of 22193

Part D plans for drug coverage. Like part B, you can elect not to enroll, but later enrollment will carry a penalty. Plans vary from basic coverage for around $20/month up to expensive for plans that cover most or all drug costs. Varies widely by state.

I've been paying out-of-pocket for medications for years. I started getting notices from Medicare this past year to sign up for Part D. I didn't think I was eligible yet, but...

I signed up for a cheap plan, based on the drugs I take. Costs me $13/month and is saving me about $3000 per year on the drugs I currently take. Most of my drugs have no co-pay.

============================================================

When my mom got a prescription for a new drug, she found out it was something her insurance plan (Humana) didn't cover. Her "co-pay" was something like $96. When I checked on goodrx.com, I found out the pharmacy at Fry's Foods would charge less than $50 if she used the GoodRX "coupon". So she's been getting it there.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us