The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/in-europe-education-amp-all-these-other-things-34552033.aspx

Subject:  Re: An Unpopular Post Date:  7/4/2020  9:31 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  594675 of 600684

In Europe education & all these other things are affordable for everybody (or let´s say, for most of the people). You need money for the rent or pocket money, you may work without any problems.
But as far as I know in most countries you do not have to pay for the university.

I spent a year at a French high school, admittedly some time ago. The big difference that hit me was the accountability to do well by the student. It was not a government given right to go to college for free, you had to earn it every step of the way. If you screwed up or just were not capable at some point along the way, you got diverted to a non-college track. If you were capable and wanted a second chance, you had to prove you were capable by paying for private school to earn your way back into the free college track. Because I or my family had not been paying taxes, I had to go to a private school that my host family paid for. (I was an au pair and it was part of my compensation.) There was a 22 year old in our senior class who was trying to get back into the college track. You mess up, you pay to get back in.

We are exceedingly entitled here in the US, and because of that we tend not to value our opportunities.

IP
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us