The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Deranged Monkey Criticism

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/1h-2020-update-34555578.aspx

Subject:  1H 2020 update Date:  7/9/2020  1:14 PM
Author:  MorrieSeaCreatur Number:  26252 of 26255

Hey everybody-

Wanted to give an update since I basically disappeared a few years back as I went to start my own web business while still working my corporate finance job. If anyone remembers I had started my own business and then I added selling on Amazon (first selling my products and then in my niche and then into other businesses that I could. At that time I was optimistic in my future with Amazon - that was probably the high point.

About 3 months after that I ended up leasing warehouse space and hired a PT employee, then FT to manage deliveries and I would check on the business before and after my day job. Business grew and in 2018 I was doing about $1.2M in sales and was about to quit my job so that I could focus on it. My largest wholesale account ended up taking it in house cutting about 50% of my sales. I'd get new accounts and lose them; up and down but ending at $700k in 2019. Since 2017 dealing with Amazon has gotten progressively worse. Both my website and amazon business are still open with a PT employee who gets 25% of the profits and I spend almost no time on it.

Based on the issues I should have just put my money in Amazon stock like I recommended at that time.
I'm not wealthy but I spend more time with my kids and coach them as they grow up while still having a job that has good health insurance.

Current Holdings:
20% cash - started year at 20% cash, went to 50% cash in early Feb as my job gave me good insight into China. Finally put cash back to work in mid-April.

Never bought FB or AMZN even though I knew I should.
Have shorted TSLA several times on/off but none since 2019. Always tempted.

Own:
HTL (Hamilton-Thorne)
BHC -Recently bought from reading some threads on here going back a few years and doing my own work.
BMYRT (writeup on VIC is decent summary)
DLTH (bought in phases in late 2019 (Q4) after CEO went to UAA
RAMPF - Polaris Infrastructure
I threw in towel on UAA turnaround in 1H 2019, have reopened 1/2 position recently
FELE - mid-cap that is in water and fuel markets. Interesting business that is stable. been trimming lately but have owned for several years.
20-30% in S&P 500 ETF.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us