The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Insurance - Life, Car, Home,etc.

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/clearly-something-underhanded-is-going-on--34567042.aspx

Subject:  Re: Insurance and Roofing scams? Date:  7/21/2020  1:59 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  18206 of 18209

Clearly something underhanded is going on ...

I'm not as sure about that. It's certainly possible it is a scam, but it's also possible that it's a legitimate company who specializes in helping people get the insurance benefits they are paying for.

I completely agree that this would be a company to be careful with, but I'm not sure I'd immediately write them off as a scam. In the words of Ronald Regan, trust but verify.

Check out what they claim to do. Ask to visit a couple of current jobs in the area. Ask for a reference from a couple of recently completed jobs. Ask for a reference from their supplier of roofing materials. Check out their history with your state board that licenses contractors.

I'd also investigate the results of making a claim. Homeowner's insurers all subscribe to claims databases, where records of insurance claims on a house are kept. Sometimes having a claim on file will affect your insurance rates in the future. Or it might affect what insurance you can get.

For example, a few years ago, I made a claim for a tree that fell down in a storm and blocked the sidewalk and was partially into the street. Fortunately, there was no additional damages, so the only cost was for the clean up. At the next renewal, I had a little trouble getting the next policy because of the claim. It wasn't the end of the world, but it did cause a small issue. Had I known this, I might have just paid to have the tree cleaned up, as the cost was not outrageous. I would certainly feel different if the damage had been more extensive - say the tree fell on the house instead of away from it.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us