The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-just-re-read-your-post-and-realized-your-34582816.aspx

Subject:  Re: Taxes 2019 Date:  8/6/2020  9:53 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  99353 of 100057

I just re-read your post and realized your "screwed-up" comment may have referred to the differing dates for your e-file submission and the IRS's "received" date.

There could be a few other explanations other than "screwed-up". The obvious one is that the agent you spoke with read the date wrong. Other possible explanations have to do with the antiquated computer systems the IRS uses. Almost everything is processed in batches and batch processing dates don't necessarily correspond to reality. How the IRS reconciles these dates with statutory deadlines is beyond me, but they seem to be able to do it.

At the same time, other IRS computer systems work in the future. One of my client's accounts show notices sent on August 10 and August 17 of this year. My client thinks I'm clairvoyant when I tell him to expect to receive letters this weekend and next. (Note that IRS letters typically arrive a day or two BEFORE the date on the letter.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us