The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-experience-with-the-aarp-united-healthcare-34622627.aspx

Subject:  Re: medicare supplement Date:  9/19/2020  7:41 AM
Author:  GWPotter Number:  22228 of 22292

My experience with the AARP United Healthcare people has been excellent. For reasons unknown to me, changes of this type have always been via phone only. The plans that are offered, as I understand it, can differ by state. The plan type minimums are set by the feds. Rates are set by each state and I do assume there is no requirement that say Georgia accept a Plan N or the United choose to sell Plan N in Georgia.

As I said in my previous post - the ability to swap supplement plans and/or companies is controlled by your state's laws or insurance commission. Memory says about 10 states do not guarantee the right to change. But even if the companies are not required to let you change, the company may give you that option.

I recall reading a few years back that one of the major property insurers - maybe State Farm - got into a fight with the Florida Insurance commission. There had been a storm and lots of property claims. The insurance company wanted a rate increase bigger than the commission would accept. So the insurance company threatened to stop writing or maybe refuse renew policies. In response the Florida insurance commission said, fine do that and you will not be able to sell any insurance here. A compromise ensued.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us