The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/nothingissimple-writes-i-am-into-my-third-career-34624756.aspx

Subject:  Re: Aging, Work, and Retirement... Date:  9/22/2020  3:00 PM
Author:  BruceBrown Number:  99741 of 100450

nothingissimple writes:

I am into my third career. The first 20 yrs was the corporate gig. The second 15 years was my do what I was passionate about (and alot of hours). The third career has been working on my terms. Third career ended due to COVID and a couple of surgeries for my wife. Not sure when I will start again....

The money is not important. The flexibility and schedule is. In my last "career", I would not start before 10 am, would be done by 4 pm, and only "work" twice a week. I also told the employer when I "would" take time off - not "ask" for time off.

When COVID is over, I don't think I will work in a compensated position. The most important aspect of what I do is "having a purpose." I am "working" to stay engaged and do something for someone else.

Otherwise, life is pretty boring. :)

Thanks for the response. It's good to hear you can identify with the purpose and engagement. Certainly Covid-19 throws a monkey wrench into some well laid plans for many.

Book arrives today. It is a subject that interests me, both from the standpoint of why my parents and the parents of my DW worked beyond when they needed to for money. They worked lesser hours, less stress, etc..., but I have posted about it before. Seems the engagement, socialization, identity, etc... was most likely a big part of it. I'm sure the book will address all of my curiosity about the subject.

My final working years seem to be playing out as more of a phase into retirement.

BB
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us