The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-parents-retired-with-a-nice-ma-bell-pension--34625411.aspx

Subject:  Re: Aging, Work, and Retirement... Date:  9/23/2020  11:41 AM
Author:  telegraph Number:  99742 of 100450

My parents retired with a nice Ma Bell pension - and a bit of savings - and never went to work. Dad left the company at age 61 with disability pension - and mom had been working some years again as executive secretary. Dad lived till 75, mom till 82.

My grandparents - both - retired but had part time jobs. One was school crossing guard - got him out of house and he loved the kids who crossed the street he was assigned to. Other grandparent worked part time in movie theater taking tickets.. Had to get out of the house and meet some folks. GP 1 lived till 75. Grandma till 80. Other grandparents lived till early 80s.

Me? retired at 52. Played around first year with some small consulting jobs...... for the heck of it - but industry cratered a year later and jobs dried up - and didn't worry about it. Never looked back. 22 years later and not going back to work. Busy enough - well, was before this COVID stuff wiped out all events everywhere and most reasons for travel.

In the same house now for 30 years. No change expected any time soon.

t.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us