The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Options - You Make the Call

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/strike-price-changed-no-idea-why-34665386.aspx

Subject:  strike price changed, no idea why Date:  11/12/2020  3:16 PM
Author:  blacktreechaser Number:  11272 of 11360

I sold some covered call options at the end of October. The company is FHI. The call options are the $22.50 of April 2020.

The broker is TD Ameritrade.

On Nov 5th, there is a transaction in my account showing a change in the strike price...from $22.50 to $21.50. There is no stock split. No re-organization...Nothing that would indicate the strike price of these options needed to be changed.

I called FHI to see if they knew anything about this. They don't. I called TD Ameritrade. The guy I talked to said that shares of FHI went ex-dividend on Nov. 5th, and that would cause a drop in the strike price of options. I implied he did not know what he was talking about, especially since the dividend was just the regular dividend of 27 cents. I asked him to bump this up to a higher level, and that I was not happy at all. They should get back to me soon.

I did see that there are April call options with strikes of $21.50. I also double-checked on the options I sold in October. They were definitely the April $22.50 options.
If these get called at $21.50, I'm going to lose $100 per option. Needless to say, I'm pissed.

Anyone have an idea what happened? I'll call FHI back to see if they can shed any light.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us