The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Alternative Medicine

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/red-light-therapy-for-intercostal-strain-34670133.aspx

Subject:  Red Light Therapy for Intercostal Strain? Date:  11/16/2020  11:00 AM
Author:  g0177325 Number:  4494 of 4508

I see there has been some activity on this board recently after a long period of dormancy, so I thought I'd ask a question.

I strained my ribs on one side two weeks ago, and suspect it's "just" an intercostal muscle issue (that is, the muscles between and around the ribs). I've read that this type of injury usually goes away on its own in 6 to 8 weeks, and that the best way to deal with it is NSAIDS for pain and inflammation and mild stretching and exercise despite the pain to retain range of movement and prevent scar tissue from forming. But, it still hurts like the dickens! I bought a "red light therapy" lamp, which in this case is just a $40 LED bulb with 9 660nm LEDs and 9 850nm LEDs, plus a socket with a clamp and switch to be able to use it. I had read that it might help to promote healing of muscle tissue so I figured why not give it a shot. I've been using if for a few days, a couple times a day, a few minutes at a time, but so far it doesn't seem to be doing much. It does feel warm on my skin, so that's something I guess, and I'm not overweight so there's not much distance between the skin and the intercostal muscles, but does the infrared radiation really penetrate that far below the skin to make any difference to the tissues below? Any advice appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us