The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/this-was-not-originally-intendedthe-last-three-34680474.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Wizard of Oz Date:  11/29/2020  7:07 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  137566 of 138575

This was not originally intended—the last three songs in the film, "The Jitterbug," the vocal reprise of "Over The Rainbow," and "The Triumphant Return" were all excised from the film before its official release.

The film was overlong in the first cut. Louis Mayer insisted that “Over the Rainbow” be cut as well - both of them -, because nobody would want to hear a girl sing a slow ballad in a farmyard early in the movie. In fact it was cut during previews, but then restored after hellacious infighting between the director and executives. The reprise, along with the other songs, stayed on the cutting room floor.

I’ve noticed that many musicals are frontloaded with songs. I think it’s because as the dramatic pace picks up as you roll to the conclusion it’s hard to stop everything for a tune and then pick up again and regather that momentum. Almost every Broadway show we go to has significantly more music before intermission than after. Having never written a musical (ah, something I could do as Covid relief, if only I had talent), I wonder if that’s the reason.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us