The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Alternative Medicine

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/osteopaths-in-the-uk-for-this-example-are-well-34702389.aspx

Subject:  Re: UK Fool Date:  12/22/2020  12:10 PM
Author:  VeeEnn Number:  4508 of 4508

Osteopaths (in the UK for this example) are well placed as more holistic professionals....

You should be aware that osteopaths, as the term is understood in the UK, practise quite differently from DOs here in the US......who receive an education that's to all intents and purposes the equivalent to MDs. They now routinely take the same licensing exams, do the same residency and fellowship programmes as MRS and are represented in pretty much all the specialties. Most of the physicians at our primary care (GP's) practice are DOs......although my and my husband's cardiology team are all MDs as are the physicians and surgeons on my husband's transplant team (where he's the transplant hepatologist, not patient) so maybe there's a ceiling.FWIW

However, as useful as this insight might be for you, I'm responding mainly to pick your brains. Back in our days in the UK (pre 1985) osteopaths.(including my mum's and my husband's) worked independently of the NHS whereas all the physios of my acquaintance (including, but not limited to my husband's uncle) were all hospital based. That doesn't appear to be the case now. I know a chunk of what were formerly NHS services have been sold off to private companies but I understand that there's also now a fee for some of this?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us