The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-don39t-see-how-anyone-who-gets-a-match-in-34724646.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401k yay or nay??? Date:  1/17/2021  3:12 AM
Author:  Macroman77 Number:  26341 of 26344

I don't see how anyone who gets a match in their 401k account can reasonably pass on the opportunity. The match is a substantial instant return far better than you can normally expect in the market. Now some people are doubtlessly deceived by the remarkable recent stock performance but you need to realize that years like 2020 will probably not be seen again.

Investing beyond the match is a personal decision and I would consider my tax situation, desire to manage my own investments and the total amount that I want to invest. Most of us should probably be investing more than the IRA limits to have a comfortable future.

For me the limited 401k investment options force the money invested there into a relatively low risk collection of assets. I balance this by investing my other funds fairly aggressively.

I am going through a transition where my company closed down the old 401k plan which allowed me to move those funds to an IRA. I am glad of the opportunity but am still working out how to create an appropriate risk balance while making nearly all of my investment decisions without constraints.

Mark
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us