The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/aw-thanks-i-was-kind-of-surprised-to-see-it-34768611.aspx

Subject:  Re: syke6 Date:  3/3/2021  8:59 PM
Author:  syke6 Number:  614012 of 625268

Aw thanks. I was kind of surprised to see it myself. 20,000 posts seems like a lot, even spread over 20+ years it still sounds like lot. So...20+ years ago I found the TMF boards. I'm not sure what prompted me but the board I started reading most the Mechanical Investing board. A lot of smart people there, and I learned a lot about how to think about stocks. I also bounced around to Living Below Your Means which was a big social club in a low of ways, but I learned how to think about using money efficiently and relentless optimize expenses. At some point, I stumbled onto the Retire Early Home Page. Now it never really occurred to me that you could have normal salary and retire early. I just sort of assumed I'd work until normal retirement age. Turns out, you don't have to. So I set the goal and a target number.

Along the way, I made some interesting stops at Atheist Fools (back when it was about religion), Beer Loving Fools, 77's Foolish House of Pigskin, and a few others as well. Learned a lot at all those places. Often simply typing out my thoughts helps me clarify my process. Last few years I've settled in here at METAR. Thanks for having me!

Between now and then was the dot com bust, 9/11, a couple wars, the Great Recession, and a global pandemic. And also between now and then, the wife and I hit the target number, and I have think the folks here had something to do with that. For various reasons my wife wants to work for a couple more years, and it doesn't make a ton of sense for me to retire unless be both do, but in the meantime I'm FI and work became more enjoyable now that I don't have to. I still might pull the pin, we'll see. My wife will still likely retire before 55, which is not too shabby.

So thanks again for having me, sharing your thoughts and wisdom, and here's hoping for another 20,000 posts.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us