The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/keeping-cash-enough-to-cover-my-cost-of-living-34771242.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire Early & 4% Withdrawal Date:  3/6/2021  9:46 AM
Author:  FCorelli Number:  101537 of 102724

Keeping cash enough to cover my cost of living keeps me feeling better about market downturns. I know I don't need to sell to pay bills. Secondly, I have cash available in case of a market downturn so if I see a buying opportunity I can participate.

I may be wrong, but I feel safer with cash than CDs and bonds. I usually have about 10% cash for income/emergencies and 10% to purchase in bear market.

perfectly Ok. And no, this in no way is any kind of a "cash drag." These things are, over the long term and in real-life, literally incalculable. Plus it makes your life much simpler and easier to actuate.

Nother fact o' life: Everybody has cash. Even people who say they don't. I have never anywhere on the planet in any situation for any reason ever seen nor heard of somebody I need to pay being willing to cop the interest from a stack of CDs or bonds, or withdrawal money directly from a stock I owned, a mutual fund, or brokerage account. Nor has anyone who owes me been willing to send the money directly to buying me a new CD or a few shares of stock so I can be "fully invested".
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us