The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Can't deduct traditional IRA contributio Date:  3/9/2021  11:46 AM
Author:  stevenjklein Number:  132215 of 133269

The issue is not whether it is a new or old TIRA. The question is the existing balance in TIRAs.

I have a rollover IRA with an existing balance, about $40K. I've had it long enough that I no longer remember where it came from, but probably a 401K plan from a former employer.

You can recharacterize a ROTH over contribution. It is no longer possible to recharacterize a ROTH conversion.

Sorry, but I don't understand that sentence. Can you put it more simply?
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us